Thursday, September 25, 2008

The American Baby Shower

This week I learned from my good Swedish friend that she had never in her life attended a baby shower until this past weekend. Different cultures celebrate different customs in gift giving for babies. In many European countries it is customary to present gifts to the newborn babies and the parents. There is no actual party; they just bring helpful gifts to new mothers a short time after the baby is born. The modern baby shower that we (in America) know today came into custom somewhere at the end of World War II. The baby shower can be thrown early in preparation for the baby’s arrival. It is a supportive and generous event toward new or expectant parents.

So what does all this mean? I have some German relatives that were invited to my very American baby shower this past weekend on September 21, 2008, hosted by my mom, Mary Bengert. When they received the invitation, without explanation, they thought the baby had already been born and started congratulating me! I now understand why this could be confusing. Well, I'm still very much pregnant and we are still awaiting the arrival of our precious baby girl! We did have a great time celebrating with a party, an American Baby Shower, this past weekend. All my aunts, cousins, neighbors and family friends came to shower me with beautiful baby gifts. And, you might wonder how could I participate while on bed rest? Well, I stayed in one spot for the whole shower and had the food and gifts brought to me. Some might consider it a luxury to be waited on hand and foot... I'd have to agree to some extent.



My mom did a fabulous job with the food, games and decorations. I am very grateful and thankful for all her hard work and planning. Jon's mom flew in from Savannah Georgia to celebrate with us too. We received some wonderful gifts and so many adorable baby outfits. I think our daughter will be the best-dressed person in this house for at least the next 12 months!

1 comment:

Erock! said...

That is pretty interesting. I never thought about that custom being different. I can't wait to see your little girl, she will be adorable.