This is the story of how I landed myself on strict and permanent bed rest... On Thursday August 14, Jon and I decided to split and head to the mountains for 4 days in the cooler weather. I was supposed to be resting anyway and we figured why not get out of the heat; I can rest anywhere! That turned out to be a bad idea. Three hours after arriving in Show Low, I had a major bleed and I ended up in the Show Low hospital. Apparently when you have the condition placenta previa the altitude and changes in barometric pressure (like a hail storm, see picture) can cause you to start bleeding... not good. I was in the Show Low hospital for 2 nights and the doctor gave me a course of two steroid shots to boost baby's lung development. Meanwhile they discussed how to transfer me to the Scottsdale hospital at Shea. Helicopter was out due to no pressurization and a 4-hour ambulance ride was out because the ambulance company didn't want the liability in case I started bleeding again. The reason they needed to transfer me was so that I would be at a facility that was equipped to handle emergencies in case they had to get the baby out right away. So the safest way to transfer me was in a pressurized airplane. It's the smallest plane I have ever been in. It fit me on a stretcher, one pilot, two flight nurses and Jon. The transfer to and from the airports was in the ambulance. Never been in one of those either. In Scottsdale they kept me for 4 more days for observation and testing. And when I stabilized, I was finally allowed to go home on Wednesday August 20, with strict bed rest instructions... only bathroom and shower privileges. So the bed rest begins...
9 comments:
Hey, what a crazy pic of you in the plane.
Well, that sounds like quite an adventure. I'm sure it is one you would rather not have been on. I hope you are both doing well. I will keep all three of you in my prayers.
Passt auf Euch auf. Ich denke an Dich und wünsche Dir alles Gute!!
Great story!
Cool. I added this to my LiveJournal feed so I can keep up :)
How bout some mmmmmmmoooovie reviews?
Love it! I'm so glad you started this! And- so glad you are still hanging in there and baby has decided to stick around in the oven for a while longer! Miss you guys!!!
my prayers & good thoughts will be with you!!!
hang in there sweetie... It will all be worth it!! Can't wait to have a margarita with you after the Lil one is here!
Kisses,
Rob n Stacie
Post a Comment